06 April 2008

Anacortes, Washington







I recently decided I want out of Atlanta. and Georgia. and the South. and the East Coast. So that leaves me with the Pacific Northwest. (The Midwest and California shouldn't even exist, so to me they don't.) So that leaves Oregon and Washington. I've never been to either one, so they're pretty much the same as far as I'm concerned. So yeah, I decided to move. Now to pick a place.



A few months ago a friend introduced me to The Microphones, the musical project of Phil Elverum. In 2001 he released The Glow, Pt. 2 . I listened to this album nonstop for 2 months. I took a break from it for a few weeks and now I'm listening to it nonstop again. (I won't tell you why this album is amazing just yet. It's being reissued on K Records on Tuesday, so I'll save my review till I can get my hands on it and listen to the 20 bonus tracks.) Simply put, this album takes you to another place, and that place just so happens to be Anacortes.



I mean look at this place. It's beautiful. At the moment this is my number one choice. Portland, Seattle and Olympia are also in the running. I've lived within 30 minutes of Atlanta my entire life (with the exception of two years in Mexico City.) So I'm not entirely sure I'm cut out for small town living. But, if I am, Anacortes is where I'll be.


There are a lot of reasons I want to leave Atlanta. I'm not really willing to put them on this blog for the whole world to see("the whole world" should be read - "friends who are gonna be pissed that I'm leaving.") I just need a new start, and I don't want to have to tell anyone why.

No comments:

Post a Comment